Wednesday, September 25, 2013

On My Bedside {The Handmaid’s Tale} + A Winner

I honestly don’t know what to say about The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood.  It was good.  Really good.  I mean, it was the kind of book that had me wanting to read at stop lights, for crying out loud, and left me thinking about it for days afterwards.  But it was difficult to read – very wordy and not a lot of punctuation – and quite depressing at times.  It’s one of those dystopian America, set sometime in the not so distant future (or so I gathered) kind of reads, but this one focused on how the lives of women were changed.  A fascinating concept no doubt, but I had so many unanswered questions at the end that I felt quite frustrated and a little robbed.  Perhaps it was written this way so each reader could fill in the blanks, but I have enough to think about on a daily basis.  When I read, I just want a complete story told in complete sentences with a beginning, middle and end.

38447

Goodreads says: Offred is a Handmaid in the Republic of Gilead. She may leave the home of the Commander and his wife once a day to walk to food markets whose signs are now pictures instead of words because women are no longer allowed to read. She must lie on her back once a month and pray that the Commander makes her pregnant, because in an age of declining births, Offred and the other Handmaids are valued only if their ovaries are viable. Offred can remember the years before, when she lived and made love with her husband, Luke; when she played with and protected her daughter; when she had a job, money of her own, and access to knowledge. But all of that is gone now...

I don’t want to deter you from reading this book because really, it’s worth the time.  I would love to know your thoughts, if you’ve read it!!

As always, let me know what’s on your bedside!!  I go through all your comments and add them to my Goodreads to-read list!!
xoxo



PS. The winner of my House Proud book giveaway compliments of the Uptown Acorn / Bestie R is comment #190 (via random.org):

Sarah said...Back to say that I'm also a long time fan and follower of Uptown Acorn. Thanks!  

Shoot me an email with your address and I'll get it right out to you!!!

For those that didn't win, all is not lost!  Ron is giving away a second copy on his blog starting October 1!!

No comments:

Post a Comment