Monday, February 4, 2013

Quick Super Bowl Trailer Thoughts


A change of pace, but I felt I would comment on this year's Super Bowl trailers. Sadly, no trailers for ANY animated film showed up. I was at least expecting something from The Croods or Epic. Monsters University had a spot that oddly only aired in Canada, and it's nowhere to be found online at the moment.

Nope, the only things that were presented this year were the summer's heavies and only one pre-summer blockbuster season release.



Oz the Great and Powerful (opening March 8th) - Mostly eye candy, but man does it look nice. How it will hold up in the writing department, I don't know. That being said, I'm looking forward to this.



Iron Man 3 (opening May 3rd) - I loved what I saw in this spot, but it was only one scene, and I felt a bit jipped because the spot ended with "See the extended preview on Facebook". How about this? Show the entire thing, it wasn't that long anyway. The extended spot was mostly stuff we've seen before: The destruction of Stark's Malibu, War Machine and action... Very little Mandarin though. Hopefully the next trailer has all this and more. I don't doubt it will.



Star Trek Into Darkness (opening May 17th) - A good spot, containing lots of action and glimpses at our villain in thirty seconds. Though I wasn't overly fond of it, I'm still anticipating the film thanks to the great trailer.



Fast & Furious 6 (opening May 24th) - Car action and explosions, what more could you ask for? I'm actually somewhat anticipating this film. Must be the 15-year-old in me that just wants to sit back and enjoy high octane action.



World War Z (opening June 21st) - Not hooked. Saw the trailer and this, it looks very generic if you ask me. That being said, the zombies having super-speed is a nice break from the slow and uncoordinated zombies. It still doesn't excite me...



The Lone Ranger (opening July 3rd) - Disney really is backing this up with some aggressive marketing, and you know what? That's good. They screwed up badly with John Carter, so now they're at least trying with this. It may not make back that hefty budget, though. Content? Well there's lot of action here, and I must say, it got me more excited for this film than both trailers did.

Overall an okay batch, but I would've liked to have seen more. With only 6 spots, 2012 has it beat with 8. 2011 had much more. I was hoping to see spots for Oblivion, The Croods or heck... Even G.I. Joe: Retaliation, but Paramount already invested in a Super Bowl spot last year (of course, back when it was on track for a June 2012 release). Warner Bros.' output was nowhere to be seen as usual; I would've liked to have seen something for Man of Steel.

What were your thoughts on the trailers? Sound off below!

No comments:

Post a Comment