Sunday, January 6, 2013

Things That Keep Me Up At Night

I know it’s no secret that I can be a little hyperactive.  I don’t require a lot of sleep and I rarely sit still.  Sometimes I just can’t turn my mind off at night.  (A problem the PCP purports to have as well...although I think it’s one of his many stalling techniques.)  So, in the midst of a Nyquil induced haze on Thursday night, this thought randomly popped into my head “Why have we never changed the batteries in our smoke detectors?” 

Which led to – Detectors?  Do we even have more than one? 

     Didn’t I read somewhere that they only last eight to ten years? 

          OMG this forty year old wooden thing is probably going to burn to the ground in our   
          sleep.

And then I was out.  Just like that.

So Honey dutifully headed out today a purchased new smoke detectors for each floor of the house.  We only had ONE in our three story house (including the basement) and had no idea how long it had been here.  We bought one with a carbon monoxide detector to replace the old one in the upstairs bedroom hallway.  And we installed new ones on the main level and in the basement.  (And by “we” I totally mean “he.”)
smoke
I thought this was a good article about smoke alarm types and placements.  After a little research, we went with the slightly more expensive options that have a built in 10-year battery life.  And, as if y’all aren’t already bored to tears, I’m going to go ahead and over-share and let y’all know that we also keep a fire extinguisher in our kitchen and garage, and a fire escape ladder under the bed in our master in the event that we weren’t able to use the stairs.

So now y’all know the sort of things that keep me up at night.  Thankfully, the topic is usually much lighter – ie. should I shower in the morning or try a new furniture arrangement in the living room.

Now, I’ve got to go throw our lasagna in the oven and get ready for GaMe NiGhT before the Downton Abbey premiere!!!
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment