Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner

After listening to bestie M rave on about her delish baked chicken, I finally took the plunge and made my very first whole chicken.  Ever.  You see, I have always been repulsed by bones… I don’t eat fried chicken or ribs or turkey (unless it’s in sliced form) or anything with bones.  Sister doesn’t either so it must be some strange genetic thing :-) 


Bestie M’s Baked Chicken

2 tsp salt
1 tsp paprika
3/4 tsp ground red pepper
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 thyme
1/4 white pepper
1/4 garlic powder
1/4 black pepper
Whole chicken (I use the Springer Mountain Farms baby chicken.)
Day 1: Mix ingredients in small bowl.  Clean chicken. Pat dry. Rub inside and out with seasoning mix. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate over night.
Day 2: Place 1 cup chopped onions inside chicken (in the big hole....eww...)  [FYI, that is exactly how she sent me the recipe.]  Roast (aka bake)Bake at 250 degrees for about 5 hours, baste occasionally... mostly after hour 3.

Now, I don’t have a picture because as soon as this thing comes out of the oven my boys devour it.  I literally come in the kitchen and find Honey has popped it out 5 minutes early and they are already eating.  This is one of our favorite meals and we make it at least twice a month now.

It’s finger lickin good (really… not like the questionable stuff that comes in that bucket)!!
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment