Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Summer Fit

I know you didn't think I was about to write about exercising, for crying out loud. :-)

Here’s my big *whomp whomp* of the summer… I’m making the boys do a little daily school work using these Summer Fit books I picked up right before school let out for the year. 

photo 5 (2)

I am far from expert on the new curriculum rolled out in Georgia elementary schools this past year (and I certainly don’t want to start a debate on that), but these books are fantastic!!  Academic exercises are based on Common Core standards for math, reading, writing, language arts and science.  There are fitness exercises and character building lessons to boot.  And it’s all set up to last for the ten weeks of summer. 

photo 3 (6)
Lest you think this is cruel and unusual punishment, let me assure you that THEY LOVE IT!  There have been a few days that they had to remind me to pull out their workbooks.  (Who put a pen in the baby’s pencil box???)

photo 1 (5)

We also picked up the summer reading booklets from our local library and have finally found another good  series for John – The Bailey School Kids (prior to this he really only like Magic Tree House books).  I cannot tell you how happy it makes me to see him doing this (especially when there is Pac Man and a tv in the adjacent room)…

photo 2 (6)

If you have any favorite reads for second grade boys, send them my way!  He’s a strong reader – we just have trouble finding books he wants to read.

Happy summer, y’all!
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment