Monday, July 23, 2012

First Look: "Me and My Shadow"


Looks nice, doesn't it?

Ever since DreamWorks announced this hand-drawn/computer animation hybrid in 2010, I was looking forward to seeing how it would be pulled off. The poster doesn't really show much, but it gives you a good idea of how the shadows will be animated. I'm getting a Paperman vibe from this already, though unlike that short film, it's not a combination of the two mediums. Still, the use of hand-drawn for the shadows will give it a surreal effect in this computer animated setting.

The film opens on March 14, 2014. The first trailer should show up sometime around summer or fall 2013. Out of all the upcoming DreamWorks films, I'm looking forward to this one the most, though the fact that scribes Tom J. Astle and Matt Ember (Failure to Launch, Get Smart) are writing this makes me worry, as I've said before. Having only written two comedy films (one that was a critical dud and one that got mixed reviews), should they've been picked for an animated film like this? They could turn out gold, but I remain skeptical at this point. A potentially bad screenplay could throw everything off.

In other news, DreamWorks acquired Classic Media yesterday for $155 million. Now we'll see what their upcoming slate will look like months from now.

No comments:

Post a Comment