Thursday, March 8, 2012

Non-nominated Highlight - The Cat Piano (2009)

 

Well, there's only so many films that's been nominated for Best Animated Short, and I'll probably finish reviewing them all at some point in the future. So I'll have to find something to pass the time while waiting for future nominations. Well, I already said that I was planning some lists, since I like making those so much. Besides that, I figure I might as well post some of the incredible animated shorts that don't get nominated. After all, one of the criticism about this category is that through the opaque eligibility, submission, and voting process, several excellent shorts fall through the cracks. For example, What's Opera Doc, the film that most animation historians agree is the greatest of all time, was not nominated for the Oscar. Legend states that the higher ups at Warner Bros. was not pleased with the short and decided not to submit it for Academy consideration. A couple of different Warner Bros. shorts were submitted instead. Two of them were nominated, with one of them taking home the prize. However, most people would agree that neither short lives up to the greatness that is What's Opera Doc.

Read more »

No comments:

Post a Comment