Saturday, February 25, 2012

Best Animated Short - 2011

Well, I might as well somewhere, and why not post the review for this year, which I posted two weeks ago on Facebook. It's the only chance I can get a review up before the Oscars until next year. Anyways, this will be the 80th time the Best Animated Short award has been awarded, dating back to the 1932 ceremony, back when Grand Hotel won the Best Picture Oscar (which was its only nomination. Things were different then.) I don't pretend that I know enough about animation history to know if it is truly reflective of animation history the past 80 years. (I do know that it's often been criticized for passing on truly great animation. I know that they did that frequently in the 1940s and 1950s by giving notice to some of the lesser works from Warner Bros. while ignoring their truly great films). What I do know is that there's been a lot of changes in the animated short film category itself. (This next part will be similar to the introduction last night, but I think it's worth repeating.

Read more »

No comments:

Post a Comment