Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Best Animated Short - 2010

Well, that I've got the awards from this year done, let's begin our trek backwards through the hallowed history of the animated shorts. Our first stop is the shorts of 2010. I originally wrote this review back in February of 2011, before the Oscars, or even the theatrical showings of the Oscar nominated shorts. Yes, I I did watch all of the nominees before the showings. One good thing about independent filmmakers is that they generally put their films up online, although that didn't really help this particular year. Three of the films were readily available online (although one was dubbed in French), while Pixar was trying out the experiment of entering a short for its qualifying run the same year as its wide release. However, one nominee, The Lost Thing, was nowhere to be found. My sister and I tried to find the final short on video sites and bit torrents, but to no avail. In the end we sucked it up and bought the DVD, under the pretense of being a late birthday present. The DVD arrived two weeks before the Oscars, just days before the showing. And then it took me two weeks to begin writing the review, which explains why it's largely incomprehensible. That and the fact I was writing this four days before a major exam.

Read more »

No comments:

Post a Comment