Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Look for the Helpers

Like so many of you across this great country, I pray for all of those effected by yesterday’s horrific events in Boston.  I have a friend that worked so very hard to train and raise money ($10,000!) for her run, and was so relieved to hear that she and her friends and family were safe.  My heart goes out to all of those that were injured and the ones that lost their life to this senseless tragedy.

 
The news caught me so off guard that I realized I was staring at the TV in disbelief while John looked on.  I’ve shielded him from so much in his tender seven years, and was so incredibly saddened when he peppered me with questions throughout the rest of the night.  What is a bomb?  Why did someone hurt those people?  What are terrorists?  I answered his questions as best and gently as I knew how and was reminded of this…




“Look for the helpers.  You will always find the people who are helping.”  And there were SO many helpers yesterday - the police, the doctors, the first responders and the kind souls helping strangers in need.

Outside of Boston, my heart has literally felt broken for the last week.  While I was in Savannah, a childhood acquaintance lost her three year old son to an accidental drowning in her back yard pool.  I have not been in touch with her for years, but my heart breaks for her in so many ways.  And last Friday a sorority sister and dear friend lost her only brother to an avalanche in Salt Lake City.  He leaves behind a wife and young daughter. 

As I continue to pray for these families in the dark days ahead, I also give thanks for the beauty and the good and the helpers in the world, for it can all be easy to lose sight of.
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment